Eugene Kashpureff's Defense Fund

John A. Tamplin jat at traveller.com
Tue Nov 25 21:12:00 UTC 1997

On Tue, 25 Nov 1997, Bob Allisat wrote:

>  Let's not forget that everyone
>  attempted to profit in their own
>  way from Eugene's devil dare and
>  gutsy Alternic pioneering. And,
>  all joking aside, understand that
>  if things do not go "our" way,
>  CORE is successfully rammed down
>  our throats and none of the schemes
>  to counteract IANA pan out there
>  will be a lot more people in
>  jail with Eugene. And it is up
>  to those with similar views and
>  the resources to assist others
>  who actually do the fighting.
>
>  That's how revolutions worked in
>  history as in our times. Support
>  your local DNS Freedom fighter or
>  there won't be any more. Or was
>  all those past words just hot air
>  and bullship?

There were customers that asked us to point our DNS servers to Alternic,
but I refused because I didn't want to hand over control to the namespace
to one guy that I didn't know, had no authority to run it, and appeared to
be in it for a profit.

The InterNIC stunt he pulled entirely justified my refusal.  Personally,
I think that was the last thing he should have done if he hoped for any
support, since it gave people who were wanting to show that he couldn't
be trusted ammunition they couldn't get any other way.

I can understand that he was frustrated because he wasn't getting his way,
but the method he chose to express that frustration violated the trust of
those who (foolishly) pointed their DNS servers at his root.

I see your posts on the GTLD list as well, and frankly I don't want
non-profit and mom & pop companies running DNS servers that I and my
customers depend on.  I want someone who can be trusted to not violate
my trust because they have financial committments to meet to stockholders
etc, and can't afford to make such mistakes.

John Tamplin					Traveller Information Services
jat at Traveller.COM				2104 West Ferry Way
205/883-4233x7007				Huntsville, AL 35801