NANOG mailing list charter

Scott VanRavenswaay scottvr at dfw.net
Wed Nov 19 00:49:56 UTC 1997

Though I appreciate the sarcasm in your letter, this may actually be of
interest:

you have in mind.

(directly from the "welcome" message)
is to get and circulate e-mail concerning general internet network
problems/downtime.

What SHOULD go to this list:
* Postings concerning Sprint/MCI/etc downtime, cut fiber lines, explosions
at
  the MAE's, anything that kills access through one of the major
backbones.

What should NOT go to this list:
* Postings about DALnet servers going down for any reason, as well as
  'aftermath' posts in case a server goes down unexpectedly. This includes
  any of the WWW and FTP sites, as well as the IRC servers and services.
  The list for that content is dalnet-outage at dal.net
* ISP downtime. Unless your ISP is a major provider like
  sprint/MCI/uunet/mae-west/bbn/ibm/netcom/etc., this list isn't the
  place to report downtime.
* Vacations/hospitalizations/other human-related downtime. This list is
for
  networks and servers - NOT humans.

Who SHOULD be on this list:
* Anyone interested in what goes up and down on the internet in general,
  whether for technical reasons or general interest.

Goals for this list:

I would like this to be a list to which anyone can subscribe and find out
what's going on with the major backbones of the internet as well as what's
happening with DALnet servers. I do *not* want it to be high-volume - that
would make the list useless.

Sprint was the first network that had the foresight to have a *public*
mailing list concerning network outages. Posts from that list
automatically
get redirected here. Posts from MCI's list, while less frequent, are also
redirected here.

Certain other backbones either keep their lists private or don't have
one because "We never go down." I personally think this is an insane
point of view, because everything and anything will fail at some point,
and telling yourself (and others) that failure (or upgrades) will NEVER
happen is pretty closed-minded.

Anyhow - if you are either internal to a backbone provider or get these
reports yourself and don't mind bouncing them to this list, then I'd be
very grateful if you could do that. Please make sure the source of these
advance trouble notices won't mind horribly if you do this, though - I
don't want anything bad happening because of this list.

As a side note to everyone subscribing, one of the reasons backbone
providers haven't let their outage notices be public is that they're
afraid of some marketing person or novice journalist getting ahold of
the messages and saying that their network sucks because of it.

Everyone subscribed to this list should know that EVERY network, no matter
what you do or how well you plan for disaster, will go down at some
point. It's inevitable - while 100% uptime is desirable, it's just not
possible.

So I ask that if you see a network's announcement of being down for some
reason or other, that you not use just that or just this list to judge
a provider. Not everyone will have the amount of goodwill that this
requires,
but I really hope that everyone on this list can meet that goal.

Thanks, be merry, and be more educated about the Internet in general.

The typical 'subscribe' message to outage at dal.net will get you on.

Cheers,

Scott VanRavenswaay
Systems Administrator