Talking about spam and stuff..

Jon Lewis jlewis at inorganic5.fdt.net
Mon Nov 17 23:55:17 UTC 1997

On Mon, 17 Nov 1997, Susan R. Harris wrote:

> > 	Making things worse, nanog at merit.edu is still open for anybody
> > 	to post to, even if you're not subscribed.  Many complaints
> > 	have been registered with the listowners, but for some reason
>
> We're not able to limit posts to subscribers, as that would cut out the
> many people who receive NANOG mail through exploders.	--Susan Harris

That's a bit of a cop-out.  Majordomo has for some time had the ability to
restrict posts to those addresses found in a list of files.  Just add an
additional file for those who wish to be able to reply but read via
exploders.

restrict_post = nanog:nanog-digest:nanog-exploder

For the terminally lazy, just create a dummy list called nanog-exploder,
make it moderated, and allow open subscription to it.  Anyone who wants to
read nanog via an exploder and be able to reply to nanog, or who wants to
be able to reply from multiple addresses subscribes to nanog-exploder.

This seems awfully simple...is there some drawback I've missed?

 Jon Lewis <jlewis at fdt.net>  |  Unsolicited commercial e-mail will
 Network Administrator       |  be proof-read for $199/message.
 Florida Digital Turnpike    |