Talking about spam and stuff..

J.D. Falk jdfalk at priori.net
Mon Nov 17 22:19:13 UTC 1997

On Nov 18, Adrian Chadd <adrian at ourworld.net> wrote:

> Ever since I subscribed to the list, I started to get spam. Which is
> strange, this email accounts gets (a) staff email, (b) nanog email.
> So a bit of snooping showed me that anyone can send the "who nanog" (or
> "which nanog", I cant remember which one, I just sent both :-) command
> to nanog at merit.edu and lo and behold, the subscriber list came back.
>
> So I'm asking the list admins to please disable the command, so spammers
> can't just grab a user list.. and also, for people who run large email
> lists, to consider doing the same.

	Making things worse, nanog at merit.edu is still open for anybody
	to post to, even if you're not subscribed.  Many complaints
	have been registered with the listowners, but for some reason
	they've all been ignored.

J.D. Falk                         voice: +1-650-482-2840
Supervisor, Network Operations      fax: +1-650-482-2844
PRIORI NETWORKS, INC.              http://www.priori.net

"The People You Know.  The People You Trust."