AGIS Signing up New Spammers

Leo Bicknell bicknell at dimension.net
Mon Nov 17 18:18:21 UTC 1997

In article <64q19v$o1 at gizmo.dimension.net> you write:
>Best guess at ths time, without having had a full review done, is that
>filtering spam at the source *might* fall into the same category. However,
>since in theory mail is *personal* in nature ratehr than broadcast, it might
>be deemed to fall into the same category as blocking all carrier route sorted
>bulk mail in the real world. However, note that you *can't* get USPS to do
>that, either.

	The follow your argument wouldn't there be a difference
between blocking e-mail from a site (eg, the RBL, or your own
sendmail.cf rules) and blackholing an entire site at the IP
level?  In one case you are acting as an editor claiming that
only mail is offensive, in the other you are acting as a
service provider preventing damage to your network?

	It would seem to me that if you argue that the site
causes "network problems" and simly toss all of their packets
regardless of content you are safer.  It is also nastier to
the spammer/their provider (eg one or two bad apples
render all of AGIS's network unreachable to a great many),
which in theory should get better responce to fix the
problem.

	To site an example, no one questions a providers
ability to filter a site when it is Smurf'ing them, why not
when spamming them?

Leo Bicknell - bicknell at dimension.net
Network Engineer - Dimension Enterprises
1-703-709-7500, fax, 1-703-709-7699