GTE to acquire Genuity

Jerry Scharf scharf at vix.com
Fri Nov 14 06:02:02 UTC 1997

Gordon,

you have the way of spinning the longest line of crappy conjectures into a
proposal of irresponsibility. I'm sure you could spin an equally long chain of
things into a reason why no one from the IAB or IETF ADs should have anything
at stake with the industry they help direct. For this particular case, there
are facts to prove your conjecture flawed.

I was consulting at Genuity when then needed to do their initial IP address
gathering for their new network. They sent in a proposal to Kim, and Kim told
them no. Rodney was very upset at the time, but there was never any
interference by the IANA. When Genuity provided better documentation and
cleaned up some things, then they got address blocks like anyone else.

At least judge Jon by his actions, not by your inferred doubt. The evidence is
that when put in the exact situation you feared, the IANA acted by not acting.
Genuity was not harmed financially by this (I think even Rodney will now admit
that) so there is no damage to be fretted about. Certainly there will be a
tidy profit to Bechtel and the other founders of Genuity.

I believe you owe Jon a personal apology for this.

jerry