GTE to acquire Genuity

Gordon Cook cook at netaxs.com
Fri Nov 14 04:47:42 UTC 1997

last time i looked Jon postel was still on genuity's board.  It is my
understanding that this gives him a LEGAL responsibility  to act in the
best financial interests of genuity.  Seems to me this creates a conflict
of interest given what with his powers as IANA he could do to benefit
genuity with IP allocations etc.  now I am confident that he has not used
his position to give special benefit to  genuity.  but I am also told that
he could be regarded as culpable for not having helped them out when it
could be argued he had the power to do so.  This is a distinction that I
was slow to grasp and one that jon with a research rather than a business
background might also be slow to grasp.

Rodney Joffe explained to me in very glowing terms this summer why jon
was on the 'board"  his explanation sounded fine.  Point is Jon could have
had the same impact as a special advisor to the board.  one wonders why
genuity bechtel attornies that could be expected to be aware of these
issues went with the board choice anyway.

does jons board position disappear when genuity is fully acquired?   i
would hope so.

The COOK Report on Internet               For subsc. pricing & more than
431 Greenway Ave, Ewing, NJ 08618 USA     ten megabytes of free material
(609) 882-2572 (phone & fax)              visit   http://cookreport.com/
Internet: cook at cookreport.com             New Special Report: Internet
Governance at the Crossroads ($175)  http://cookreport.com/inetgov.shtml