Potentially dangerous Pentium bug disc

Greg A. Woods woods at most.weird.com
Wed Nov 12 18:36:20 UTC 1997

[ On Wed, November 12, 1997 at 09:54:21 (-0800), Bruce Robertson wrote: ]
> Subject: Re: Potentially dangerous Pentium bug disc

>     Randy> can this 'discussion' please be moved to ms-dos-weenies or
>     Randy> something?
>
> You miss the point.  Thousands of Web servers out there are Pentium-based.

In fact I would guess that most small and medium sized ISPs run Pentium
based servers of one description or another, and of course those that
provide any kind of shell access, or who offer to run CGIs or ~/.forward
scripts, etc., for their users, etc., will all be extremely vulnerable
to attack.  It's the ultimate denial of service attack, as even the mere
threat of actual attack is likely to force such machines to be taken out
of service.

I'll bet non-Intel replacement chips are very rare these days.  I'm
kinda sorry I didn't buy the AMD K6 CPU I was planning for a new server
before this came out.  It'll probably cost me $100 more now if I can
even find one!

--
							Greg A. Woods

+1 416 443-1734      VE3TCP      <gwoods at acm.org>      <robohack!woods>