IP Forwarding

Tom Hubina tomh at gibbsnc.com
Wed Nov 12 02:21:47 UTC 1997

Hi all...

I've been lurking here for a while, and realize that I really don't know
much about the innards of networking, but I do have a question I was
wondering if you could answer. If I'm in the wrong place, flame me, kick
me, do whatever :)

We have customers in Europe who need to download large (10 Meg+) files
from us on an almost daily basis. They are all on ISDN or other low
bandwidth dial-up so it takes them quite some time, if they are even
succesful at all. At first glance a mirror site doesn't appeal to us
since we have very frequent updates and need to provide security with
frequent new user adds and changes. For now we've been living with the
slow speeds and dropped transfers, but here's what I was wondering:

Could a domain name be set up in Europe to point to a machine in Europe
on a global service providers net (PSINet for instance). All this machine
does is forward packets to a machine at our location on the same network
(PSINet). The whole point of this would be to avoid overcrowded peer
points where a lot of our current packetloss appears to be coming from.

Does this idea have any merit, or would I simply be exchanging one
problem for another? Would it even work at all? Is there a better
solution that would increase our connection quality to Europe while
keeping the server at our location? Thanks for your time.

Tom Hubina
tomh at gibbsnc.com
Gibbs and Associates

805-523-0004