better pay attention to holubs listing of folk at D o J

Erik M. Bataller emb at nttlabs.com
Tue Nov 11 22:56:11 UTC 1997

One thing to keep in mind is that many folks would argue that anti-trust
criteria are highly dependent on the implications to the consumer, not to
the distributor.  So, with the current M$ hocus pocus, the issue is not
that the distributors had to purchase 95 but rather that it caused direct
consumer implications- system costs were higher (they paid for windows
95), consumer choices may have been unnaturally limited, and one could
potentially argue that Netscape browser costs are higher (because the
distribution channels have been "difficult").  And we also need to
remember that even the browser (word processor mrkt) there aren't
(weren't) nearly 8000 (or whatever the new guesses are) competitors and
the DOJ has been hard pressed to do much about it. Not to say that
anti-trust issues don't apply here... but given the precedence the writing
may be on the wall.

The issue about regulation is not only an issue for the big folks, I
suspect the little folks would have some trouble with it as well...

Ho hum.