better pay attention to holubs listing of folk at D o J

Gordon Cook cook at netaxs.com
Tue Nov 11 15:05:33 UTC 1997

herewith a few sentences from an AP story:

Regulators
are likely to examine the deal to see if such dominance would
squeeze out rivals and drive up prices. But several analysts said
they expect the deal to clear that hurdle, because there are
roughly 4,000 other Internet access providers.
  ``They'll be a formidable competitor with a tremendous amount of
market clout,'' said Rebecca Wetzel, a consultant with TeleChoice
Inc., based in Verona, N.J. ``But there are plenty of other choices
out there.''
----------------
by saying there is nothing to worry about because there are 4,000 other
internet access providers, the analysts betray their abysmal ignorance!!!

I have a very unpleasant feeling that Sidgemore would like to be king of
the internet.  And that he likely doesn't know the internet well enough to
realize that it rejects would be kings.

If I were an ISP, I'd pay plenty of attention to David Holubs post of
relevant people at DoJ to who to express your concerns.

The COOK Report on Internet               For subsc. pricing & more than
431 Greenway Ave, Ewing, NJ 08618 USA     ten megabytes of free material
(609) 882-2572 (phone & fax)              visit   http://cookreport.com/
Internet: cook at cookreport.com             New Special Report: Internet
Governance at the Crossroads ($175)  http://cookreport.com/inetgov.shtml