Ascend GRF

Sean M. Doran smd at clock.org
Tue Nov 11 13:54:00 UTC 1997

Phil Howard <phil at charon.milepost.com> writes:

> I'm still waiting for T1 cards so I can put it in real service.

Wow, Phil, you (and others) really like to make your
vendors' lives miserable giving them really difficult to
solve problems like stuffing slow interfaces into a box
optimized for fast ones.

That high-speed routers do not support slow interfaces is
a design feature.

I think, however, there is a market for "fake" BFRs (and
GRFs, which are not BFRs) that are really hybrid fast/slow
routers in disguise.  Like a 12000 that you can put a DS3
or DS1 into, or an ersatz SSP.

Router vendors take note: operators (even a really clueful
one who knows who he is and is still sulking about DS3s
not fitting into the 12000) will pay for the VW BUG engine
and frame under a Rolls Royce body, just so long as the
hood ornament looks good enough to fool their friends and
it works under their real traffic load.  --:)

	Sean.