moving to IPv6

Winfried Haug nanog at hq.seicom.net
Sun Nov 9 22:19:14 UTC 1997

> Have little experience in international networking, ain't we?
well it is sometime better to have a big pipe to the US than a two smaller
pipes to Europe and US :-)

> Take Russian Internet for example:  five largest ISPs all
> have separate dedicated links to _different_ European and
> North American backbones.
well just wait a few weeks, than - if nothing happens - about
20 Mbit/sec of Traffic now exchanged within germany will go over us.
Not because of a technical problems but due to political problems.
This concers nearly all traffic between the german commercial ISPs
and the academic part of the germany internet (DFN/WIN).
All majer isps have cancelled their contract with the dfn for 31/12/97
because the commercial isps are no longer willing to pay for access to
the academic networks. The traffic is going in both directions, but it
cant be right, that only one site pays. And only one AS (and customer ASes)
are accepted, but no AS from another ISP. This costs additional $$
BTW: a E1 contact with DFN costs about 6000$ a month + local loop to their next
access point!.

> This seems to be a typical picture all around the world.
> European connectivity is particularly convoluted.

yes, thats how the wourld comes together

Cheers

Winfried

Winfried Haug    |         SEICOM.DE & SCHWABEN.DE       | Tel. 07121 9770- 0
Laiblinsplatz 12 |   Internet+ISDN access & consulting   | Fax. 07121 9770-19
72793 Pfullingen | Access in STGT + RT + TUE + BB + LB   | Rack 07127 989-X
haug at schwaben.net| 150*ISDN (64kb/X.75) / 100 * K56flex  | Rack 0711  9675-X
haug at seicom.net  |SAP-OSS * FTP * TELNET * NETNEWS * IRC | Rack 07121 709-X
* 4 MBit DE-CIX * 2 MBit WIN * 2 MBit BelWue * 2 MBit INXS * 2 MBit UU.NET *