New MAE-EAST

Jay R. Ashworth jra at scfn.thpl.lib.fl.us
Sat Nov 8 18:01:53 UTC 1997

On Sat, Nov 08, 1997 at 06:58:56AM -0800, Kent W. England wrote:
> There is no point agreeing with the Big Backbone Network Engineers that the
> MAEs suck. It is in their best interest that the MAEs suck, the CIX is
> crippled, you aren't bugging them to plug into a high perf exchange, and
> that you, the little ISP, go out of business soon. THEY have private
> interconnects which you can't join. Find a co-lo where you can
> cross-connect without being robbed or build your own NAP, just don't use
> DEC-designed Gigaswitches and FDDI. Use full duplex 100 Mbps Ethernet
> switch or find an old Fore switch cheap.

At the risk of litigation, Kent makes a good point here: how much of
the problems we see are engineering based, and how much are (let's say
it softly: political?

This is right on the edge of topic for the list; construct your replies
carefully, or cross-post to nodlist, per reply-to.

Cheers,
-- jra
The Suncoast Freenet      "Pedantry.  It's not just a job, it's an
Tampa Bay, Florida          adventure."  -- someone on AFU      +1 813 790 7592