IPv8 < IPv6

Paul Ferguson ferguson at cisco.com
Thu Nov 6 21:33:36 UTC 1997

At 04:21 PM 11/6/97 -0500, Richard Irving wrote:

>> Correction: Not allocating in a topological fashion lends to
>> deaggregation. Geography often has nothing to do with it.
>>

>     We are talking the *world* here,

Duh.

And geography is *not* important. I can show you several
organizational networks located in one country, with their
principle Internet connectivity located in another country
entirely. Geographic location means absolutely nothing.

It is where they connect in the global hierarchy.

In the example above, if addresses are allocated solely based
on geographic criteria, I can assure you that you will have
a much, much larger number of prefixes in the global routing
table. Why do you think that the allocating authorities
automagically ask requesters to first ask their upstreams
for address space?

- paul