New MAE-EAST

Steven Schnell, Sprint Corporation schnell at gsd.sprint.com
Thu Nov 6 18:43:31 UTC 1997

Actually, introducing GbE into an existing switched-FDDI environment can be
a straightforward and relatively painless process.  The attendees at the
last NANOG were shown how this could be done in the presentation given by
Celeritis Techologies and DEC.  DEC has introduced a FE card with hunt
group support for their GIGAswitch/Ethernet box (aka, Prominent P550).  A
FE hunt group between the switches and FDDI and 10/100/Gb Ethernet clients
supposedly provides seamless bridging and smooth migration to GbE.  You can
even equip a NAP router that has an existing FDDI interface with a FE
interface for loadleveling of traffic across NAP interfaces and/or for
fail-over to either NAP switch.

Steven