New MAE-EAST

Jun Wu (John) jun at wolfox.gip.net
Thu Nov 6 16:28:39 UTC 1997

===== Alec H. Peterson previously wrote: ====

> > indicated satisfaction with exhange points run by other parties.  What
> > the problems of MAE-EAST indicate to me is that FDDI/GigaSwitches are
> > not the appropriate technology for MAE-EAST sized exchanges and that MFS
> > is the wrong company to be running an exhange point.

Just try to bring up another point. Anyone has thought about Gigabit ethernet
switches?

Prominet's Cajun switch has a 45GB backplane. Supports up to 24 full-duplex
                              ^^^^
Gigabit ethernet ports or 120 full-duplex fastethernet ports, or a mix
of both. The price is also very reasonable.

Guess that'd be too much of a change... :-) If this is not good for MAE-E,
it might be good for some other new exchanges.

Jun
--
Jun (John) Wu                              | Voice: (703)689-5325
CCIE# 2709                                 | Fax:   (703)478-7852
Supervisor - Global IP Systems & Services  | Email: jun at gip.net
Global One Communications L.L.C.           | URL:   http://wolfox.gip.net/jun