New MAE-EAST

Paul D. Robertson root at gannett.com
Wed Nov 5 18:02:31 UTC 1997

On Wed, 5 Nov 1997, Adam Hersh wrote:

> With all of the problems with MAE-EAST.....
>
> Any plans from anyone to create a ATM exchange point in the DC area?

Given the latency we've seen over some ATM backbones, I certainly hope not.  I
agree with Paul that MTU sizes in gigabit ethernet make it very
attractive as a next step, I'd certainly be interested in seeing anything
anyone has on fragmentation related delays going from a large MTU switched
environment to a small MTU switched environment though.  Overall, I've
been less-than-pleased with latency when I've been transited that way.

Paul
Paul D. Robertson
gatekeeper at gannett.com