uDNS Root Name Servers Taking Shape - on a couple ISDN lines

Karl Denninger karl at mcs.net
Fri May 30 00:25:47 UTC 1997

On Thu, May 29, 1997 at 07:14:29PM -0500, Jim Fleming wrote:
> On Thursday, May 29, 1997 6:03 PM, Karl Denninger[SMTP:karl at MCS.Net] wrote:
> <snip>
> @
> @
> @ I rest my case.  Only one of these has anything approaching reasonable
> @ connectivity, all appear to be off single-point failure circuits (except
> @ possibly manhattan.com), and all are running in non-RFC2010 mode.
> @
>
> Karl,
>
> I am not sure that uDNS claims to be "better" than eDNS.

uDNS is claiming to be what eDNS *was*, which simply isn't true.

> As I understand the situation, eDNS people are now going
> to focus on building a more robust version of the BIND
> software and will be focusing on operational excellance
> and stability.

Correct.

> The uDNS people seem to be more interested in supporting
> a wide-range of Registration Authorities and new Top Level
> Domains that are somewhat controversial. There does not
> seem to be a strong "technical" or "operational" slant to
> the uDNS movement.

Actually, unless I grossly misread what I saw last night, there will be no
RAs, and the structure is more than a little different.

> I am sure that system administrators will be able to make
> their decision which Root Name Server Confederation they
> prefer. With 6 active confederations, companies now have
> a choice. That is what free market help to create.

Correct so long as people don't mislead the public.  Unfortunately many
people like to do that, and its a bad practice which is not limited to any
particular root server set.  In fact, it seems to be endemic on the Internet
as a whole.

> I look forward to working with you on the new version(s) of
> BIND, and I also look forward to seeing uDNS take shape.
> Both groups can make a contribution to the Internet.
>
> --
> Jim Fleming
> Unir Corporation
> http://www.Unir.Corp

Thanks.

Karl Denninger (karl at MCS.Net)| MCSNet - The Finest Internet Connectivity
http://www.mcs.net/~karl     | T1's from $600 monthly to FULL DS-3 Service
			     | 99 Analog numbers, 77 ISDN, http://www.mcs.net/
Voice: [+1 312 803-MCS1 x219]| NOW Serving 56kbps DIGITAL on our analog lines!
Fax:   [+1 312 803-4929]     | 2 FULL DS-3 Internet links; 400Mbps B/W Internal