uDNS Root Name Servers Taking Shape - on a couple ISDN lines

Jim Fleming JimFleming at unety.net
Fri May 30 00:14:29 UTC 1997

On Thursday, May 29, 1997 6:03 PM, Karl Denninger[SMTP:karl at MCS.Net] wrote:
<snip>
@
@
@ I rest my case.  Only one of these has anything approaching reasonable
@ connectivity, all appear to be off single-point failure circuits (except
@ possibly manhattan.com), and all are running in non-RFC2010 mode.
@

Karl,

I am not sure that uDNS claims to be "better" than eDNS.

As I understand the situation, eDNS people are now going
to focus on building a more robust version of the BIND
software and will be focusing on operational excellance
and stability.

The uDNS people seem to be more interested in supporting
a wide-range of Registration Authorities and new Top Level
Domains that are somewhat controversial. There does not
seem to be a strong "technical" or "operational" slant to
the uDNS movement.

I am sure that system administrators will be able to make
their decision which Root Name Server Confederation they
prefer. With 6 active confederations, companies now have
a choice. That is what free market help to create.

I look forward to working with you on the new version(s) of
BIND, and I also look forward to seeing uDNS take shape.
Both groups can make a contribution to the Internet.

--
Jim Fleming
Unir Corporation