SMDS info

Michael Shields shields at crosslink.net
Wed May 28 19:15:39 UTC 1997

> Can anyone direct me to a good resource for info on configuring an ADC SMDSU plugged into a HSSI port on my Cisco router?  I've never had the pleasure of working with SMDS before and I don't like guessing when it needs to work before I ship it.  Thanks.

I didn't have to do anything on mine except (a) turn down the access
class because I wasn't using the full speed and (b) set it for c-bit
framing.

Do *not* configure your SMDS address into the SMDSU, configure it into
the router.

On the Cisco:

interface Hssi1/0
 encapsulation smds
 smds address c1XX.XXXX.XXXX
 smds multicast IP e1XX.XXXX.XXXX <ipaddress> <mask>
 smds multicast ARP e1XX.XXXX.XXXX <ipaddress> <mask>
 smds enable-arp

That's it.

SMDS is pretty ok, the two major flaws being that (a) no one is
familiar with it and (b) it's fast-switched on a 7000.
--
Shields, CrossLink.