AGIS, IEMMC Halt Bulk E-Mail

Bill Becker bbecker at iconn.net
Wed May 28 13:05:30 UTC 1997

On Tue, 27 May 1997, Gary E. Miller wrote:

> Yo Randall!
>
> On Mon, 26 May 1997, Randall S. Benn wrote:
>
> > > the IEMMC agreed to suspend bulk e-mail services on Sunday, May 25th,
> > > 1997.
>
> You could not tell that from our mail server.  Mary-world.com (a.k.a.
> cybrepromo.com) dumped over 10k spam messages by way of one of my mail
> servers this weekend...  They used a new PPP account to do it.

But did they use AGIS to send it?  The press release says in part:

> members of the Internet E-Mail Marketing Council (IEMMC) to stop
> originating all bulk e-mail through the AGIS network. Under the terms

Spam with forged headers relayed through other people's sites from throw
away ppp accounts, is more effective than sending the stuff from known
spam addresses which can be (and probably are) blocked at routers.  If
they stop spamming from their own addresses, it's because they have no
choice anyway.

So what does the AGIS press release add up to?

Bill