[off-topic] old NSFNET regionals?

Alan Hannan hannan at bondage.bythetrees.com
Tue May 27 23:50:09 UTC 1997

>  Does anyone remember the NSF-sponsored regional networks?

  The what?

> Can you fix
>  this table--this is off the top of my head so I am missing a few networks.

  Name        Region           NOC was or is at      Now
  --------    -------------    -----------------     ---------------------
  SURAnet     Southeast US     Univ MD               BBN SER
  NEARnet     Northeast US     MIT?                  BBN NER
  PREPnet     Pennsylvania     PSC                   merged w/ CICnet
  BARRnet     Bay Area         Stanford? Berkeley?   BBN WR
  CERFnet?    South Calif      SDSC                  TCG
  CICnet      Midwest          ?                     merged w/ PREPnet
  Merit       Michigan         U Mic
n MIDnet      MidWest          UNL                   bought by Global Internet
  JvNCnet     Middle states    Princeton             bought by verio
  NYSERnet    New York         ?
  THEnet      Texas            U Texas
n WestNet     Rocky Mountains  CU ??                 Dissolved (pretty sure)