[off-topic] old NSFNET regionals?

Dorian R. Kim dorian at cic.net
Wed May 28 00:42:34 UTC 1997

On Tue, 27 May 1997, Tung-Hui Hu wrote:

>  Does anyone remember the NSF-sponsored regional networks? Can you fix

Nah, they don't exist, just like the tooth fairy. :)

>  this table--this is off the top of my head so I am missing a few networks.
>
>  Name             Region           NOC was or is at          Now
>
>  CICnet           Midwest          ?                         merged w/ PREPnet
				     ^^^^^^^^
				     U Mich

You are missing NWnet, covering Pacific Northwest, with NOC at U of
Washington, which has also been bought by Verio.

There's also MIDnet, covering Iowa, Nebraska, Missouri etc, etc, which was
bought by Global Internet, and Sesquinet, covering Texas and parts of
southwest.

-dorian