Murkowski anti-spam bill could be a problem for ISPs

J.D. Falk jdfalk at cybernothing.org
Wed May 28 07:45:21 UTC 1997

On Tue, May 27, 1997 at 06:08:16PM -0700, Kent W. England wrote:

> If the ISP community doesn't address the email problem with protocols and
> technical solutions, then the legislators will respond to their
> constituents with regulations.

	At this point, we'll have to do both -- there's already a large
	outcry for legislation, and it's inevitable that something will
	pass (I support the Smith bill; Murkowski clearly has no idea
	what he's talking about.)

> IOPS.ORG could hire some lawyers or spearhead an email initiative.

	The ISP/C already has a published stance...there's also the
	Coalition Against Unsolicited Commercial E-mail (www.cauce.org).

	This is getting farther off-topic for NANOG, and there are many
	other lists out there dealing with spam, so please reply to me
	personally if a reply is warranted.

 ---------========== J.D. Falk <jdfalk at cybernothing.org> =========---------
  |         "Knights in shining armor go                                 |
  |          Protected, safe in Merlin's glow                            |
  |          Have been blessed by machines, so                           |
  |          They now belong to the community."  --Robert A. Newsom      |
 ----========== http://www.cybernothing.org/jdfalk/home.html ==========----