Murkowski anti-spam bill could be a problem for ISPs

J.D. Falk jdfalk at cybernothing.org
Mon May 26 09:57:57 UTC 1997

[Removed com-priv because I am not a member and because any thread between
the two is bound to be a useless flamewar.]

On Mon, May 26, 1997 at 01:51:38AM -0700, Matthew James Gering wrote:

> And in the effort to allow the identification of spam, a required SMTP
> header:
> precedence: [ high | normal | low | bulk | uce ]
>
> This will allow policies to be enforced, and maintain the freedom of
> creating that policy.

	Who will ensure that this requirement is followed?  Right now
	we've got thousands of people using non-standard mail programs
	every day, and nobody has been able to get rid of Microsoft
	Exchange, Lotus Notes, or any of the other software which is
	known to do this....

 ---------========== J.D. Falk <jdfalk at cybernothing.org> =========---------
  |   "Anyway the :// part is an 'emoticon' representing                  |
  |                a man with a strip of sticky tape across his mouth."   |
  |                                     -- R. Douglas                     |
 ----========== http://www.cybernothing.org/jdfalk/home.html ==========----