anyone have details about the attack on AGIS?

Jim Dixon jdd at vbc.net
Mon May 26 09:03:28 UTC 1997

On Sun, 25 May 1997, J.D. Falk wrote:

> 		3. Somebody was SYN-flooding the routers(???)
>
> 		4. The culprit was inside the AGIS network
>
> 		5. AGIS was doing some upgrades that went bad (again)
>
> 	Sure would be nice if AGIS was still friendly with other
> 	backbones, so we could all help trace down the culprit (even
> 	if it's just a typo in a router config), make it public among
> 	the NANOG community, and make sure that it doesn't happen to
> 	anybody else.

Yesterday our connection to Agis went dead suddenly.  We called up
the Agis NOC and were told that their Washington router was being
flood pinged.  OK ... except that we connect in NY, not DC, and the
NY router looked to be dead.

So we waited a while and reported the problem again.  This time we
were told that "they" were putting in some GRFs and hadn't even
bothered to tell the Agis NOC.  The NOC couldn't tell us if they
were doing a router replacement in New York.

Several hours later the line came back up.  Stayed up for a while,
went dead again.  After a while, it came back up.

Sure would be nice if Agis was still friendly with their customers.
Or just anyone.

--
Jim Dixon                  VBCnet GB Ltd           http://www.vbc.net
tel +44 117 929 1316                             fax +44 117 927 2015