Congestion control/QoS

Dirk Harms-Merbitz dirk at orlando.power.net
Fri May 23 15:14:56 UTC 1997

Seems to me that a good way of limiting damage from runaway
networks/hosts would be a modifaction of RED (Random Early
Drop).

Controlled Early Drop (CED? I just made this up, suggestions?)
would allow a router to give a preference to connected
networks/hosts. Packets from certain networks would have a higher
chance of being dropped from a router queue then packets from
other networks.

CED can be used to price connections!  You want 10%, you pay
x. You want 50%, you pay y. Everybody gets full speed when the
network is empty. When networks get congested everybody gets
what they paid for.

Seems like a better way of pricing Internet connections. Right
now way too many people are stuck behind small pipes. Most T1
customers use only a small fraction of their circuit. How do
you sell Ethernet connections? 100MB Ethernet connections?
while still protecting your network. CED looks like a solution
on this early Friday morning.

Comments?

Dirk