QoS/CoS interest

Greg Soprovich gsoprovi at MTS.Net
Thu May 22 16:10:58 UTC 1997

I have to agree with a lot of the comments that P Kavi made.  My greatest
issue with any attempt at GOS is that one MUST be able to control ingress
traffic.  Unless one can do so in a fairly clean manner, I don't see how it
will work in practice.

>                *  No policing at ingress:  You can't have QoS unless
>                   you can limit how much traffic enters the network,
>                   and discard, or at least mark the excess traffic.
>                *  No effective Class of Service mechanism:

The support issue between ASes is, I believe, the largest one.  I think
getting such a policy in place will dwarf the carrier agreement woes
between major Telcos.  Can you imagine trying to build a common framework
for Qos/Cos across the majority of providers any time soon?  The
administrative headaches will, I think, far outweigh any technical
issues...

>     3.  No support across ASes.  First of all, BGP provides no QoS
>         metrics.  So there is no way to determine if a particular AS
>         should even be considered in setting up a QoS path.  Second, while
>         a single AS could be upgraded to QoS-capable equipment, a forklift
>         upgrade across the Internet to QoS-capable equipment won't happen
>         anytime soon.

Greg Soprovich                    *
Manitoba Telephone System         * Manitoba Telephone System
System Analyst                    * 1700 Ellice Ave
(204) 784-6549                    * Winnipeg, MB
                                  * R3C 3V6
Greg.Soprovich at MTS.MB.CA          *
                                  *