Changing the Rules...

Michael Dillon michael at memra.com
Thu May 22 15:29:08 UTC 1997

On Thu, 22 May 1997, Marc Hurst wrote:

> Uh, we have been asking for the past two years. We are hardly new at
> this. In fact the CAIP has endorsed our proposal to repatriate the
> canadian ip registry.

To the best of my knowledge this is not true. The issue of a Canadian IP
Registry appears to no longer be on CAIP's agenda. For instnace it is not
mentioned at all in the report given April 24th at the CAIP AGM
http://www.caip.ca/agmrepor.htm

In fact, here is a quote from a Government of Canada report found at
http://strategis.ic.gc.ca/sc_indps/itt/engdoc/3g12.html in the
Executive Summary section:

   The report finds that the economic cost of a Canadian IP registry would
   be high. Construction, or set-up costs would exceed $100,000, while the
   registry would probably suffer an operating loss, after deduction of
   fees to its users, of approximately $400,000 in its first year of
   operation.  These costs would need to be absorbed by the Canadian ISPs,
   or passed on to customers.

   Offsetting benefits which might make such costs tolerable could not be
   identified.

The Government of Canada does not appear to support repatriation of the
IP registry function either.

The bottom line is track record.  Not track tearing.  Not track derailing.
But pounding the damn dirt around the track with the rest of us worms.
       -- Randy Bush