QoS/CoS interest

Michael Dillon michael at memra.com
Thu May 22 15:02:48 UTC 1997

On Thu, 22 May 1997 bill.st.arnaud at canarie.ca wrote:

> I believe, in the future, it will be a lot easier and cheaper to
> deploy bandwidth rather than manage complex router/switch technology to
> support QoS/CoS.

I disagree. With the increase in bandwidth and the rtelated increase in
multimedia applications we will need QoS/CoS in order to guarantee
bandwidth availability for email, web pages and other low bandwidth
protocols. >;-)

> The challenge for the routing and switching companies will not be to
> implement QoS/CoS, but to build fast enough switches and routers to keep up
> with this fire hose of data.  This will have a major implication on network
> design - the concept of the telco intelligent network is dead at these data
> volumes.  Network intelligence must move to the edge.

Anyone who hasn't read Gilder's articles on the Telecosm, should take a
break now and read them http://www.seas.upenn.edu/~gaj1/ggindex.html

The bottom line is track record.  Not track tearing.  Not track derailing.
But pounding the damn dirt around the track with the rest of us worms.
       -- Randy Bush