Changing the Rules...

Marc Hurst mhurst at fastlane.ca
Thu May 22 12:24:52 UTC 1997

On Thu, 22 May 1997, Philip J. Nesser II wrote:

> Marc Hurst supposedly said:

> > > The government of Hati sent Jon Postel a request that the .HT domain
> > > be reassigned. The wishes of the government were followed. Is it your
> > > contention that the wishes of the Hatian government should NOT have
> > > been followed? Can you give us a basis in international law that makes
> > > you think Jon is in a position to deny the request of a sovereign
> > > state? Do you think the U.S. State Department would be pleased with
> > > Jon if he were to decide arbitrarily to assign any ISO-3166 TLD
> > > against the wishes of the government of that country?
> >
> > SKYSCAPE had offered IANA/Jon Postel to fund the ".ca" domain at no
> > cost and no prejudice based on the premise and understanding that the
> > Canadian government had stopped funding the project. SKYSCAPE was willing
> > to fund the existing infrastructure as is (our cost).
> >

> So?  As soon as the Canadian Government directs the IANA to delegate  ".ca"
> to Skyscape I am sure the IANA will change the delegation.  Your statement
> has no relevance to this discussion.

The Canadian government had zero input in the selection of the University
of British Columbia having this authority. Jon Postel told us when we
asked that as long as John Demco is in that office he will have the registry.

Might I add that there are other ca-domain board members who
indiscriminately charge for registering in "free" domain space...

The converstion is about sovereignty you fool...