Root Name Server Confederations

Ben Black black at zen.cypher.net
Wed May 21 02:18:53 UTC 1997

> > there are not multiple sets of root name servers.  there is a set
> > of root name servers and a bunch of paranoid wierdos like jim fleming
> > who run servers who answer bogusly for "." and other domains.
>
> Again, the eDNS root servers are operational and resolve, albeit on a
> small percentage, are you willing to say this sytem does not work?

their being operational makes them no less bogus.  IANA says who answers
for "." and eDNS aint it.

> > > Also, ISPs should become more familiar with where
> > > the following servers are located relative to your servers.
> > > There are many network tools which can help you make
> > > this assessment.
> >
> > there is no such choice.  there is one set of root name servers and
> > if you don't use it the universe will garbage collect you and your
> > customers and your capital assets since you were clearly not destined
> > to survive.
>
> At this point this is blatant, malicious business interference...

not to be confused with the blatant malicious business interference
caused by attempting to forcibly splinter the "." domain.

what happens when there is disagreement in the eDNS community and someone
decides to break off and for Yet Another DNS Coalition?  or are you
assuming such a thing will never happen?

> Call us Robbin Hoods, we don't collect a salary for throwing accusations....

neither do i.  eDNS is bound to produce nothing but confusion and headaches.

> > actual root name servers, but by their old names.
>
> Still like challenging your paycheque?

InterNIC may be questionable technically and ethically, but they are
blessed by IANA currently.  that is important because it eliminates the
confusion and headaches of getting dozens of different organizations
around the world to agree all the time.

if there are multiple IANA blessed NICs, then so be it.  they will
operate only as long as they follow the guidelines set down for them by a
higher authority with no financial stake in the game.

> I should agree but they too are after what everyone wants....

everyone wants confusion and headaches?

> Only because God, ahem.. you approve Paul.

you mean since everyone involved in nameserver issues does exactly what
paul says or is that simple hyperbole to hide the lack of facts in your
argument?

> I have to wonder if you have the resources to defend yourself from
> worldwide allegations of collusion and racketeering?

yes, i'm sure there will be no legal action when there are 5 different
.web domains that refuse to cooperate with each other.

b3n