Warning, CDP interaction at Mae-EAST

Peter peter at tdi.net
Wed May 14 15:12:11 UTC 1997

Owen DeLong wrote:

> > > Why on EARTH?!? would _ANYONE_ run CDP at a MAE or any other exchange point?
> > >

> > because it's on by default?
> >
> Oh, then why run BGP?  It's off by default.

:) very good.  I wasn't being deliberately stupid, just pointing
out that one might not know that it's on by default.  Why do I
need a way to autodiscover my routers?  I know where they all are--
I put them in after all.

What I'm saying is that CDP is a "negative checkoff" item-- like those
little boxes when you download software that say, "check here if
you DO NOT wish to receive email when we produce yet another upgrade."
If you don't check the box, you will get mail.

If you don't turn CDP off, CDP is on.  This is nonobvious to those
new to the business.

-peter