Warning, CDP interaction at Mae-EAST

Owen DeLong owen at DeLong.SJ.CA.US
Wed May 14 14:33:47 UTC 1997

> WARNING:
>
> Executing show cdp neighbors detail may crash your Cisco at Mae-EAST.  I
> noticed this earlier today while I was browsing, but believed I had some
> sort of strange interaction with my rev of IOS until this happened to
> someone else running a completely different code stream.
>
> There is apparently a device there spewing broken cdp information.  The
> Cisco engineer working on this case hasn't heard of this problem before,
> but if I gather anymore useful information I'll certainly pass it along.
>
> -Golan

Why on EARTH?!? would _ANYONE_ run CDP at a MAE or any other exchange point?

Especially given the congestion, and other problems at the MAE's, why run
a protocol to discover other Cisco's you have to explicitly configure peering
sessions with anyway?  If someone can explain a reason not to turn off CDP
at an exchange point, I'm all ears.

Owen