UUNET Press Release on Peering

Bill Unsworth bill at u-net.net
Wed May 14 07:44:01 UTC 1997

At 09:51 AM 14-05-97 +0930, you wrote:
>     If Europeans and Asians and Austrialians made strong
>     efforts to keep the amount of traffic being sucked towards
>     them from the U.S. with things like web caching
>     hierarchies (haha, enjoy an international aspect to
>     copyright legislation battles) and mirroring, particularly
>     when this can be done without the total cooperation of end
>     users, then they would be under less pressure to acquire
>     more trans-Oceanic capacity from the U.S.
>
>We do make large use of caching (including forcing our dialin users to
>use it) and while it helps a lot it doesn't stop us still sucking down
>a lot of traffic from the US (bear in mind that Europe is reachable
>only via the US anyway).
>
>Mark.

Since we decided to put a router in Palo Alto (at the end of a
leased line to London) we have had interest from Australian
ISPs in getting transit to London. So although that is "via"
the US it only involves one hop. Also Asian ISPs have been looking
at connecting directly to Europe rather than having to transit
the US backbones to get there.

Bill
U-NET Ltd		"X2 AND K56Flex - soon"
mailto:bill at u-net.net