NSI and competition to RIPE and APNIC

Stan Barber sob at academ.com
Mon May 12 15:22:26 UTC 1997

Carl writes:
> And the outcome of all this affects every Nanog member.  It affects every
> network operator, every ISP, every sysop.  It affects the 1.2 million
> owners of the 1.2 million domain names in COM and NET and ORG.  Every
> network operator, every SIP, every sysop, every domain name owner, should
> pay attention to all of this and speak up.

Carl, I don't think there are 1.2 million domain name registrants as many
domains (like CyberPromo, for example) has registered multiple domains names.

That being said, there is already an alternative in the county code domains.
There, the policies are different (though not necessarily better) than NSI.

That's not to say that the exising gTLD infrastructure does not need to
evolve. It must. I agree with you that those who are domain name registrants
in the current gTLDs have a stake in this evolution and should express a
thoughtful and constructive opinion on how this evolution should take place.
Unfortunately, some who have expressed opinions have chosen not to be
either thoughtful or constructive. I think some operators have been reluctant
to participate because of this.

Stan   | Academ Consulting Services        |internet: sob at academ.com
Olan   | For more info on academ, see this |uucp: {mcsun|amdahl}!academ!sob
Barber | URL- http://www.academ.com/academ |Opinions expressed are only mine.