IAHC Backtracks on Registrar Lottery

Kent Crispin kent at songbird.com
Thu May 8 06:43:19 UTC 1997

On Wed, May 07, 1997 at 10:31:47PM -0400, J.D. Falk wrote:
> On May 7, Kent Crispin <kent at songbird.com> wrote:
>
> > On Wed, May 07, 1997 at 11:20:24AM -0700, Dave Crocker wrote:
>  [ . . . ]
> > > 	You don't register "with" a registrar, you register "through" them
> > > with CORE.  No matter who you register through, it lands in the same data
> > > base.
> >
> > It is statements like these (which have appeared with some regularity
> > in the past) that make me believe that IAHC/iPOC have in mind a single
> > monolithic database for all TLDs...
>
> 	It's called DNS.

It could be DNS -- I wrote a draft suggesting that and submitted it
to the IAHC, and later implemented shared registry software that does
exactly that -- but the model currently favored by iPOC etc seems to
be a commercial database which generates zone files to feed to DNS.
DNS is run, apparently, by possibly yet another contractor to CORE.

--
Kent Crispin				"No reason to get excited",
kent at songbird.com			the thief he kindly spoke...