eDNS - Temporary Freeze

Karl Denninger karl at Mcs.Net
Mon May 5 09:12:33 UTC 1997

On Sun, May 04, 1997 at 01:32:05PM -0700, Geoffrey Waigh wrote:
> Karl Denninger [SMTP:karl at Mcs.Net] wrote around Sunday, May 04, 1997 12:57 PM
> (in some timezone, my mail client is useless):
> >
> >As long as the Internet's cache files on each and every system out there
> >point at "a" in their file, there is the potential to break the namespace.
> >
> >One rogue server in a confederation will cause serious problems.
> >
> >NSI has defacto control, because getting them out of the cache files is a
> >long and slow process, and until they ARE out their answers will be
> >believed.
>
> That's one of the nice things about widespread backing of the IAHC plan
> by the big players.  It wouldn't be hard for them to blackhole the cached
> rogue servers and thus cut them out of the loop.  No doubt Karl will
> invoke lawyers at this, but while people are running around seeking
> injunctions to support their own lawlessness, the net keeps running.
> I would think that network operators could argue this is no different from
> filtering out rogue routes coming in from a subverted BGP peer.
>
> Geoffrey

You're talking about blackholing the routes, or the nameservers (ie: bogusns
lines)?

Blackholing the routes would be, IMHO a serious legal issue.

Bogusnsing the root would do nothing, since 40,000 people would have to do
it (and that simply won't happen).

-
--
Karl Denninger (karl at MCS.Net)| MCSNet - The Finest Internet Connectivity
http://www.mcs.net/~karl     | T1's from $600 monthly to FULL DS-3 Service
			     | 99 Analog numbers, 77 ISDN, http://www.mcs.net/
Voice: [+1 312 803-MCS1 x219]| NOW Serving 56kbps DIGITAL on our analog lines!
Fax:   [+1 312 803-4929]     | 2 FULL DS-3 Internet links; 400Mbps B/W Internal