eDNS - Temporary Freeze

Karl Denninger karl at Mcs.Net
Sun May 4 19:57:03 UTC 1997

On Sun, May 04, 1997 at 10:00:48AM -0400, Jamie Rishaw wrote:
> Cc's trimmed.
>
> What's so difficult to understand about what Paul said?
>
> If IANA calls Paul and says "Hey paul, starting tonight, get your
> zone files from here instead of from NSI", guess what? The next morning,
> the root servers show IANA's zones and the InterNIC is out of the loop.
>
> They're *in* the loop now because they are the sole arbiter of the zones,
> it only makes things easier.
>
> jamie g.k. rishaw  <jamie@@iagnet.net>         Internet Access Group
> Chance favors the prepared mind.       __     [http://www.iagnet.net]
> DID:216.902.5455 FAX:216.623.3566      \/      800:800.637.4IAGx5455

You don't understand how DNS works.

As long as the Internet's cache files on each and every system out there
point at "a" in their file, there is the potential to break the namespace.

One rogue server in a confederation will cause serious problems.

NSI has defacto control, because getting them out of the cache files is a
long and slow process, and until they ARE out their answers will be
believed.

Karl Denninger (karl at MCS.Net)| MCSNet - The Finest Internet Connectivity
http://www.mcs.net/~karl     | T1's from $600 monthly to FULL DS-3 Service
			     | 99 Analog numbers, 77 ISDN, http://www.mcs.net/
Voice: [+1 312 803-MCS1 x219]| NOW Serving 56kbps DIGITAL on our analog lines!
Fax:   [+1 312 803-4929]     | 2 FULL DS-3 Internet links; 400Mbps B/W Internal