Peering (and other petty bickering)

Sean Donelan SEAN at SDG.DRA.COM
Sat May 3 15:44:40 UTC 1997

>Look up ''peer'' in a dictionary, in this context it means something
>like ''networks of equal size''.

I think you have cause and effect reversed.  A peer is someone you treat
as an equal.  In fact, in the original meaning of "Peer," the Peers of
the Realm (Barons, Lords, etc) were often extremly inequal in terms of
property and power.  To end a the petty bickering that went on between
various fiefdoms, the soverign conferred peerages.

In the IP world, "peers" can also be of very different sizes.  Whether
you are a supercomputer or a pc, in the IP world they treat each other
as peers (equals).  They aren't peers because they are equal size.

>The internet is moving towards a scenario with a handfull global
>players that will be ''peers'' everyone else will become a customer.

Have the telco's really won the war?  Another meaning for "Peer" is
the Noble class that ruled over the lower classes.  Do we really want
the soverign to step in and declare who is a peer and who isn't?