UUNET (peering in general)

Joe McGuckin joe at via.net
Fri May 2 17:30:15 UTC 1997

One group of people UUNET is going to listen to is their customer base.

All we need is a couple of friendly journalists to write
a few magazine articles pointing out to the "end user" of the various
commercial services that connect through UUNET (MSN & Earthlink, for example)
that their ability to access the web is in serious trouble.

You could also start a "brand" campaign to publicise this issue. Get a logo,
form an association, etc. Put the logo on your home page...  Call it the
"Open Peering Initiative". Set some association guidelines for accepting
peering sessions (3 peering points, DS3 backsone, 24Hr NOC, peer with RA,
for example).

If nothing else, it sounds good when you're selling to customers:

  "Why should I buy from *your company* as opposed to a large ISP
   like Sprint or UUNET"

  "Well, we connect to more networks than Sprint or UUNET. We'll exchange
   internet traffic with any network at the peering points. Sprint and UUNET
   are limiting themselves to  a handful of large networks. The bottom line
   is that your packets get to their destination faster with fewer intervening
   hops. With the larger networks,  packets from San Francisco destined for
   a site in San Jose may have to travel all the way to the east coast &
   traverse 2 or 3 additional networks just to travel 40 miles."

We've have quite a number of potential customers ask us if we are at CIX or
MAE-West. They should also be asking about who we peer with.

Joe