UUNET Pulling Peering Agreements & replacing them with charging under non-disclosure?

Karl Denninger karl at Mcs.Net
Fri May 2 15:42:28 UTC 1997

On Fri, May 02, 1997 at 06:43:08AM -0400, Stephen Balbach wrote:

> > First it was AGIS (but who cares about AGIS?). Now UUNET. Tomorrow who?
> > MCI? As UUNET and others of the big five move to consolidate their
> > markets.......... let UUNET put the smaller national backbones against the
> > wall and whom do the rest of ISP's have to rely on?   Those ISPs who did
> > not get hit in UUNET's first round of cuts. Will you get it in the neck in
> > the second or the third round?
>
> The only thing UUNET is cutting is Internet trees, and there are some who
> are protesting by hugging them. Clear out the chaff for next seasons
> crops.
>
> Buying connectivity from an ISP who peers with UUNET, or buying direct
> from UUNET, is a lot cheaper then building a national DS-3/OC-3 backbone
> and trying to be default free - this is not about UUNET cuting throats,
> it's about large and small ISP's examining thier business model.
>
> .stb

Actually, it could become about not buying from MFS/Worldcom/UUNET.

It just became that way for MCSNet, for example.

Vote with your wallets.  Both parties get equal value out of a peering
exchange.  The originating site got paid by their customer, and the
terminating side got paid by theirs.

Trying to extort money to peer is exactly that - extortion.

The argument about national backbones costing money is a red herring.  OF
COURSE they cost money.  But they open business markets to you that are
otherwise closed - being able to sell in multiple cities without the customer
having to backhaul on their own, VPNs across geographical areas, etc.  If you
don't like the price:performance balance of that equation, then you shouldn't
build one.

Karl Denninger (karl at MCS.Net)| MCSNet - The Finest Internet Connectivity
http://www.mcs.net/~karl     | T1's from $600 monthly to FULL DS-3 Service
			     | 99 Analog numbers, 77 ISDN, http://www.mcs.net/
Voice: [+1 312 803-MCS1 x219]| NOW Serving 56kbps DIGITAL on our analog lines!
Fax:   [+1 312 803-4929]     | 2 FULL DS-3 Internet links; 400Mbps B/W Internal