ARIN is not/is too/is not/is too... blah.

Stephen Sprunk spsprunk at paranet.com
Sat Mar 29 19:48:42 UTC 1997

It will take the exact same level of effort for a NIC to assign you a /24
as it does to assign you a /14, provided numbers are available.  When you
consider this, the LARGER providers should be screaming about how much THEY
are getting ripped off.

There are patently obvious reasons to charge this way:

1. A large block uses less space in routing tables than hundreds of small
blocks.  Slow-start will undoubtedly be changed in favor of a policy that
encourages providers to get a single appropriate-sized network instead of
having to register dozens of non-contiguous blocks over time.

2. Most SMALLER providers will be getting addresses from a larger provider,
and will only have to pay that provider's price for their addresses (plus
profit, of course).  Not only is this a good deal for all parties involved,
it also encourages route aggregation.

Remember, ARIN policies and prices will change based on member input.  If
you don't believe ARIN will work, then you need to get into the debates and
get what you don't like changed.

Stephen Sprunk