252 Active TLDs

rbenn at clark.net rbenn at clark.net
Thu Mar 27 13:10:38 UTC 1997

On Thu, 27 Mar 1997, Jordan Mendelson wrote:

> I really wouldn't say even that much. The problem with doing percentages
> is that in order to do them, you actually have to know how big the
> Internet is right now. No one really knows that. Estimates range from 20
> million to half a billion.
>
> I mean, the entire eDNS, AlterNIC and all the other 'alternet registries'
> are silly. I rather have a set of rules, regulations, official committees
> where more than 'one guy who once sold domains and figures that he can
> make a lot more this way' decides who gets what. Granted, InterNIC has its
> problems, billing isn't perfect yet, some technical bugs need to be worked
> out... but damn it, do you REALLY think that you can do better? I mean, you
> try dealing with 500,000 checks coming in and see how many billing
> mistakes you'll make.
>
> The fact of the matter is that the idea of the Internet is getting screwed
> up by people who want to turn a fast buck. I'm sick and tired of it. I
> don't mind people selling products on the web, but I just wish it would
> STOP there. I mean, things like MS rewriting ICMP because they didn't like
> it and trying to force everyone to adapt is completely uncalled for. The
> same applies for eDNS.
>
> Seriously, if you want to promote eDNS (which it is obvious the person who
> posted the messages does), go somewhere else. I really don't need talk
> about ".XXX FOR SALE!!!" cluttering up my mailbox.
>

> Jordy
>

> - --
> Jordan Mendelson     : www.wserv.com/~jordy
> Web Services, Inc.   : www.wserv.com

The nice part about the 'new Internet' is that the market will decide if
any of these new services or proposals have any value.  If enough people
find value in the MS ICMP protocol and it becomes widely adopted, then so
be it.  Likewise, if enough people find value  in alternative registries
and they become valuable at some point, then so be it.  Of course, if
nobody adopts the idea of alternate registries (i.e., nobody sends checks
to eDNS, etc.), the cash flow will soon run out and so will these kind of
services.  I suspect the latter will occur more often than the former.

Randy Benn