Domain Rant

Michael Dillon michael at memra.com
Fri Mar 21 21:30:56 UTC 1997

On Fri, 21 Mar 1997, Vadim Antonov wrote:

> I do not think the domain issue is beyond the scope of NANOG.
> In fact, w/o working DNS the value of services provided by N.A.N.Operators
> is zero.  In other words, the domain insanity reached the level where
> it starts to impact the business of ISPs materially.
>
> In other words, it is in the interest of ISPs to step in and inject some
> sanity into how that vital part of infrastructure is being run.

I agree 100% with this. However, NANOG is not the right forum. First, this
is more than just an operational issue. Thus I would claim that it should
be discussed in a forum like inet-access which does cover business issues,
politics and everything related to the ISP industry. It also has broader
participation by small to mid-size ISP's who are arguably the closest to
the Internet's user base. Send a subscribe message to inet-access at earth.com

Alternatively, I think this issue should be addressed in ISP trade
associations and, in fact, the members of the ISP/C of which I am a
director are currently discussing what action, if any, we might take.
Trade associations are a better place, IMHO, to deal with policy issues.
More info on ISP/C at http://www.ispc.org and, of course, there is also
the CIX and CAIP as well.

> ISPs is the only party in the debate which actually has resources and
> enough business sense to make it a workable setup.  I strongly suspect that
> "expert groups" and "engineering task forces" have already demonstrated
> their unability to fix the problem.

Not quite. Remember that some engineering projects take lots of time and
planning and then take lots of construction time. Engineering is not
synonymous with quick. Consider the BART system, the chunnel, space
station Alpha.

Memra Software Inc.              -                  Fax: +1-250-546-3049