Domain Rant.

Steve Kann stevek at SteveK.COM
Fri Mar 21 16:07:27 UTC 1997

> NetSurfer writes:
> >
> > If you think $50 is bad, just wait and see if the $20,000/year/domain
> goes
> > through...

In a private e-mail message, I replied:

NetSurfer writes:

> The following is from Computer Reseller News, 720 dated 1/20/97, page 7:
>
> "Vars Concerned over IP Payment Plan", by Sam Masud, Washington
>
> ... 8< snip
> "The registry would have ISP's pay annual fees between $2,000 and $20,000,
> depending on the amount of IP space bought.  Web site owvers would be
> slapped with a one-time fee of $2,500 to $10,000..  Network Solutions Inc.,
> a vendor charged with allocating Internet addresses through a division
> called InterNIC, said the registry proposal is up for comment but could be
> implemented within three to six months following discussion."
>
> I did NOT make this up or base it on unsubstantiated rumor.

As I said in my private reply to you, no one has proposed any
$20,000/year/domain charges.  The article that you have quoted, while
itself a misrepresentation of the ARIN proposal, has nothing at all to
do with domain names, the subject that prompted your original message.

Whether your intention was to incite fear, or if you simply do not
understand the distinction between domain names and IP address blocks,
your message was unsubstantiated nonetheless.

Also, I should have mentioned this in my original reply to you, but It
was no accident that my reply to you was private, and not addressed to
nanog.  This is not a nanog issue, as it has no bearing on North
American Network Operations.  If you wish to discuss this topic, feel
free to join the mailing list specifically devoted to this,
naipr at internic.net.  Subscription instructions should be available at
the ARIN website, http://www.arin.net/, but I think that the standard
practice of sending a message to "naipr-request at lists.internic.net" with
the word "subscribe" in the body should suffice.

-SteveK

--
     Steve Kann   i/o 360 digital design   841 Broadway, Suite 502
  PGP 1024/C0145E05  F2 D6 24 83 9E 52 9A 61  AA BB 97 61 5C A1 B8 CE
       Personal:stevek at SteveK.COM    Business: stevek at io360.com