Domain Rant.

Marcos Della MDella at CStone.COM
Fri Mar 21 02:09:16 UTC 1997

At 06:27 PM 3/20/97 -0600, Karl Denninger wrote:
>On Thu, Mar 20, 1997 at 04:15:12PM -0800, Hong Chen wrote:
>>
>> Yes, we have to do something about it. Recently, I have seen
>> several large ISPs got affected by Internic.
>>
>> I know for sure that both Aimnet.net and Internex.net are
>> putting on hold, despite the fact that Aimnet.net already
>> paid and our check was cashed 2 days before they put us
>> on hold.
>>
>> You just cannot imagine how many our customers are getting
>> affected. CRL, Aimnet, and Internex likes are major ISPs with
>> hundred and thousands of corporate customers using their
>> services.

Actually, its been rather interesting.  Talk about opportune times for
the domain to disappear.  I've been hanging out in New York, trying to
get at my email when all of a sudden the domain disappeared.  Its been
rather interesting trying to keep up on events once the domain disappears.
I don't even know how much email bounced back as "undeliverable, no such
address" to sites that have also automatically removed me from mailing
lists and the like.  In some cases, news had some interesting issues
when the names disappeared.  *SIGH*

Mistakes happen I suppose, however these are rather expensive... You
can't believe how expensive they can cost you...

I would like to have as part of the whois process to be able to look
at the account balance and last check reciept so that I at least can
tell if the InterNIC is about to screw up on myself or a customer.
The burden of proof on me however is definately unacceptable, but
barring a long lawsuit and the like, I'd at least like to be able to
see what their records on me or my customers look like.

Marcos
      '''
     (o o)
-oOO--(_)--OOo-------------------------mdella at internex.net---------
Marcos R. Della               Senior Engineering Project Consultant