Domain Rant. 24x7 NOC Internic NOC support required?

Hong Chen hchen at aimnet.net
Fri Mar 21 05:30:28 UTC 1997

The Internic is really getting us crazy. I just talked with
Hinet, that has 500,000 users, and they have tried very hard
to get hold of Internic, but only end up with an answering machine.

If Internic controls domain name, and domain name is so important
to ISPs, Internic should AT LEAST provide a 24x7 support NOC
center so that problems like this can be resoved quickly. We
thought paying $50/year will give us some services, and now
it seems to be just another way around.

When AOL  and Netcom were done for a few hours, it created such
a big news in US. AOL and Netcom were at least having the
choice of working Days & Nights to resolve the problems.

Now Hinet has been down for two days, and similarly half million
users are affected. They can do very little, but can only
speak to the answering machine at Internic, and painfully
waiting for Internic people come back to work the next day!

The funny thing is that you can do nothing, but begging Internic
to resolve the problem.

Again, Hinet already has paid the fee 2 days ago (the fee was
drawn from the bank)

Anyone has a pager number of the Internic engineers?

Hong Chen				408-567-3800 (tel)
hchen at aimnet.net			408-567-0990 (fax)