Domain Rant.

Vadim Antonov avg at pluris.com
Fri Mar 21 03:39:14 UTC 1997

So far, that sounds like nice basis for a class action lawsuit.

Imagine a land title company throwing away records just because they
lost a payment receipt.  That's what InterNIC is doing.

My experience with InterNIC was that i managed to get hold of
actual person, and got assurances that everything's ok.  Then
i see nothing happened in the database, so i call again, and they
tell the information "is not there yet".  Now, i go to the automatic
system and make a card payment -- the system gives back authorization
code, etc.  Guess what.  It still says the domain registration is not paid.

I think it is time ISPs take the matter in their hands.  I.e. let ISPs
to perform registrations.  Root serer operators can ensure uniqueness
just fine.

--vadim